I actually get this question a good bit. This question was submitted by an individual who said they’re just not hungry in the morning “and besides they’re always in a hurry.” Does it really matter if I skip breakfast, since I don’t really want anything to eat right away?
Yes! Yes you really need to eat breakfast and yes it really does matter. The truth is that after sleeping, you have been fasting for 6-10 hours. You would never go that long (or at least you shouldn’t) during the day. Your blood sugar is low. In the morning, you need to replenish your fluids by drinking plenty of water and eat something nutritious to crank up your “engine”!
It does not have to be complicated, gourmet, or even particularly special…although it can be all of those things if you like. Here are five super easy, quick and nutritious breakfast ideas:
- Whole wheat mini bagel with peanut butter and a small banana
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt with 1 tsp honey and a handful of fresh fruit (sprinkle with granola if you have it!)
- Boiled egg (boil several and refrigerate for the week), 1/2 cup fresh fruit and 1 slice whole wheat toast with a thin smear of butter
- Smoothie: 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1 cup fresh baby spinach, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup milk – blend and go!
- Overnight oats: The night before, mix together 1/4 cup rolled oats with 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt and 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup fresh berries or 1/4 cup dried fruit and 2 Tbs nuts. Refrigerate overnight and then eat it cold or heat in the microwave.